A Brief Summary of the Following Article
- Jassim Law’s Dedication: Specializing in child injury claims in California, Jassim Law is committed to helping families navigate the legal process, aiming for maximum compensation and community safety.
- Child Injuries: We handle cases involving school accidents, youth sports injuries, playground injuries, birth injuries, vehicle accidents, defective products, medical malpractice, animal attacks, dog bites, and sports accidents.
- Compensation: Claims may include medical expenses, pain and suffering, mental anguish, punitive damages, and long-term effects like disability.
- Community Impact: Seeking justice in child injury cases contributes to making the community safer for all children.
The anguish of seeing your child hurt, often due to someone else’s carelessness, is an indescribable experience for any parent.
Keeping children and teens healthy and safe is always a top priority for any parent, and for us as attorneys in the community as well. Whether you are a parent, coach, teacher, counselor, school professional, or health care provider we want to help you recognize, respond to, and minimize the risk of injuries to children.
That being said, when the unfortunate injury happens, we want to help you understand what your options are, and if/when someone is responsible for your child’s injury we want to educate you on your legal options.
At Jassim Law, we deeply understand the overwhelming pain and confusion that accompanies a child’s injury, including the mounting medical bills, the disruption to your child’s development, school, and life, lost wages from time off work, and other losses to the entire family. Our compassionate team is dedicated to supporting families during these difficult times.
We aim to provide empathetic and skilled legal assistance to help you navigate the challenging process of seeking justice for your child’s injury. Our commitment is to ensure that your child’s rights are fully protected and that compensation is sought for the damages you suffered, thereby making our communities safer for all children.
We believe in not just fighting for rightful compensation but also in making a difference to prevent future accidents to children caused by negligence in San Diego. Let us handle all aspects of your child’s injury claim while you focus on your child’s recovery and well-being.
How the San Diego Child Injury Lawyers at Jassim Law Can Help Your Case
First, you might ask “do I need a lawyer if my child has been injured?”
At the outset, the answer largely depends on how serious the injury is. Is it a minor scrape or bruise? If so, then there is no significant reason to retain an attorney. But if the injury is serious, even if you have doubts about who is responsible, you should contact a lawyer to evaluate the case.
When a child is injured, often the cause is more than one factor, sometimes including the child’s own “negligence.” However, it is important to understand that children are expected to be “negligent” to some extent, California Law only holds children to the judgment appropriate for their age. We do not expect children to have the skills, judgment, experience, or restraint that adults do – in fact, we expect adults who are hired, paid, and trained to supervise children to do this.
For example, a child playing youth sports or playing on the playground may suffer an injury, for example a concussion. We all understand these things can happen. However, if a child is injured because they were not supervised, being bullied, or through horseplay, a school or youth sports authority can be held liable.
There must be protocols in place, for example after a concussion the CDC advises that an athlete should only return to sports or practices with the approval and under the supervision of a health care provider, after following certain steps. If a coach disregards these protocols, and puts the child back in the game which results in further harm, that coach could be held responsible.
In the distressing event of a child’s injury, our legal team at Jassim Law provides dedicated support. The answer to this question is almost always “YES.” While often it may seem that “accidents happen” – the reality is most accidents are preventable, especially when children are not properly supervised. Kids will be kids, and they aren’t expected to be able to supervise themselves, this means almost always an adult could have prevented the harm.
We understand the unique complexities of child injury cases and commit to meticulously investigating every aspect of the incident. We advocate tirelessly for your child’s rights, both in court and beyond, and keep you informed throughout the process. We aim to tailor our legal strategies to meet your specific needs, ensuring maximum compensation and holding negligent parties accountable for their actions.
We handle the following aspects of your child’s injury case:
- Detailed investigation: We thoroughly examine every detail of the case.
- Evidence gathering: Gathering and preserving crucial evidence and witness statements.
- Communication with insurance companies: Advocating for you with all insurance carriers.
- Medical care assistance: Helping your child receive the best medical treatment, with or without health insurance.
- Document management: Organizing medical records, bills, and other related expenses.
- Comprehensive injury assessment: Communicating with medical professionals to understand the full scope of your child’s injuries and future implications.
- Filing paperwork: Handling all necessary paperwork, including government claims.
- Legal Advocacy: Representing your legal rights vigorously, both in and out of court.
- Negligence assessment: Determining if the responsible party was working at the time of the accident.
- Regular updates: Keeping you informed about case progress.
At Jassim Law, we use our extensive resources and local connections, including expert witnesses, to maximize your compensation to aid in your child’s healing journey and keep one or more parties accountable for negligence.
Types of Child Injury Cases We Handle
Child injury accidents can happen anywhere, anytime, especially if an individual fails to abide by a reasonable duty of care. At Jassim Law, we handle the following types of child injury cases:
- School and playground accidents
- Brain Injuries and Concussions
- Orthopedic and Neurological Injuries
- Failure to supervise
- Youth Sports Injuries
- Sexual Assaults
- Birth injuries
- Vehicle accidents
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Dog bites and animal attacks
- Sporting accidents
- Daycare accidents
If your child is injured due to negligence in California, our experienced San Diego child injury attorneys are here to assist you from initial consultation to resolution. We fight to secure the monetary compensation you deserve for the losses resulting from the accident. Contact our child injury lawyers today to guide you through the claims process and support your case.
What Happens if My Child is Injured at School?
California law requires children to attend school. In exchange the California Constitution (law) requires schools to maintain a safe environment for our kids. Education Code 44807 requires schools, teachers, and personnel to supervise kids.
Understanding that children cannot be expected to supervise themselves, or be held to the same standards of safety as adults, the schools and personnel are required to anticipate the ways children can be hurt and prevent this.
The most obvious way is proper and adequate supervision. For example, kids cannot be on the playground alone without supervision. Adequate supervision is required, and the definition of “adequate” can vary. Is it adequate to have one teacher supervise 300 students? Probably not. On the other hand, are schools expected to have one teacher per student supervising each student? That would not be reasonable either.
As in every case, liability is fact specific and depends on the nature of activities involved. However, if your child was injured at school, you should always consult with an attorney about your rights.
Child injuries are often very disruptive to the development and education of children. If children are required to miss significant amounts of time from school, appropriate plans must be put in place, and the harm can be serious. Child development, isolation, self-esteem, and their overall well being and trajectory in life can all be seriously adversely impacted.
What Happens if My Child is Injured from Sports?
Like school injuries, sports injuries can be detrimental. These cases are quite different from school injuries because there are different laws and legal standards at issue. To some extent children assume the risk of being hurt when playing sports, but they still must be supervised, and the inherent risks of a sport or activity should never be unreasonably increased.
Like all cases, sports and youth sports injury cases are all very fact specific. You should promptly consult with a skilled and experienced San Diego child injury lawyer to understand and learn whether your child is entitled to pursue a legal action for injuries they sustained while playing sports or involved in some other activity.
Damages in a Child Injury Claim
If your child has suffered an injury due to someone else’s negligence, you are entitled to file a claim against those responsible. With the San Diego, CA child injury attorneys at Jassim Law by your side, you may seek economic and non-economic damages, which may include the following:
- Medical expenses: Covering the costs for treatments required for your child’s complete recovery, which might be substantial depending on the type of accident.
- Pain and suffering: Recovery for the physical pain and emotional distress your child has gone through due to the accident.
- Mental anguish: Recognizing the psychological impact, such as stress and trauma, that your child has endured as a result of their injury.
- Punitive damages: In certain cases, there might be eligibility for punitive damages against the negligent party.
- Disability and disfigurement: Some injuries may lead to long-term or permanent effects, such as disability or disfigurement, and our firm can assist in documenting and seeking compensation for these ongoing impacts.
While we recognize that no amount of money can make up for the injuries your child has suffered, seeking justice can provide accountability and financial resources that may aid in recovery. Let us relentlessly fight on your behalf and help make our community a safer place for all children.
Seek Justice With the Child Injury Lawyers at Jassim Law
At Jassim Law, our commitment is to ensure safety and accountability in our community, particularly in cases involving child injuries. Children, like everyone, deserve a safe environment, and when this safety is compromised by negligence, we fight for justice. Led by Pajman Jassim, a San Diego child injury lawyer recognized for courtroom success and dedication to safety, we manage all aspects of your child injury claim so you can focus on your family during this challenging time.
Contact us right away if your child has been injured due to negligence. For a no-cost consultation, call us at (619) 554-0624 or fill out our contact form. We understand that you are injured, so we come to you. We also offer video, Zoom, or telephone consultations.