San Diego Catastrophic Injury Lawyer
Catastrophic injuries refer to those that have long-term or permanent effects on a person’s life, such as disabilities or limitations that prevent the injured person from performing daily activities, tasks and duties. These types of injuries can occur in various situations, including motor vehicle accidents, workplace accidents, medical malpractice cases, etc. Catastrophic injuries can require ongoing medical care, rehabilitation, and other long-term expenses that can financially and emotionally overwhelm victims and their families.
If you suffer from a catastrophic injury in San Diego due to someone else’s fault, you have the right to pursue legal action. Our attorneys at Jassim Law have over 20 years of experience aggressively fighting for justice throughout California. When someone else’s actions result in you suffering from a debilitating injury, you may feel angry and frustrated. Holding the responsible party accountable for their actions is about more than just recovering compensation, but also receiving closure and justice for a life-changing event. Contact Attorney Pajman Jassim and learn how he may help with your claim.
How Does a Catastrophic Injury Affect My Claim?
Unlike minor injuries, a catastrophic injury often results in long-term injuries, significant lifestyle changes, and even life-long care. Since there are many aspects to consider, the process may take longer, require more information, more expertise, and increase the value of your claim.
You will need an attorney that understands the gravity of your medical situation, and how to prove the impact of your injuries upon the rest of your life and the life of your loved ones.
There are various ways a catastrophic injury affects an injury claim, including the following:
- Increased Damages: Catastrophic injuries often result in greater damages for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. The severity of your injury and its impact on your life will determine the value of your claim.
- LIfe Care Planning: You may require the expertise of a certified Life Care Planner. A LCP is an expert that will consult with all of your medical providers and medical team to assemble a plan for your future care needs for the remainder of your expected lifetime. This plan will calculate the costs of your future care, and be presented to a jury for determination.
- Expert Witnesses: To prove the full extent of damages and the impact of the injury, your San Diego catastrophic injury lawyer may seek expert witnesses to provide testimony.
- Emotional Impact: Catastrophic injuries can also have a significant emotional impact and may cause the injured person and their family to suffer from depression, anxiety, and PTSD. These emotional strains can be included in your claim.
- Longer Legal Process: Catastrophic injury cases require extensive information and documentation, which may lengthen the time it takes to resolve the claim. Your San Diego catastrophic injury attorney must gather medical evidence, assess long-term effects, and determine the full extent of damages.
When you’re dealing with a catastrophic injury, you will need someone on your side to defend and fight for your rights. Jassim Law strives to hold the person responsible for your injuries accountable for their behavior. Your life was turned upside down, and no one should downplay the damages you face.
What Types of Damages Can You Recover in a Catastrophic Injury Claim?
In a catastrophic injury claim, you may be able to recover various types of damages to compensate for the losses you have suffered. The specific damages you may be eligible for will depend on the circumstances of your case and the extent of your injuries. Below are a few common types of recoverable damages in a catastrophic injury claim:
- Non-Economic harms (Pain and suffering)
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical Impairment
- Mental suffering
- Medical expenses (past and for the future)
- Physical therapy and rehabilitation expenses
- Cost of prescription medication
- Lost wages or income (past and for the future)
- Loss of companionship
- Damages for the injury to a spouse or registered domestic partner (Loss of Consortium)
- Wrongful death damages
- Punitive damages
After a catastrophic injury claim, it’s essential to consult a catastrophic injury lawyer before speaking with anyone else, especially a representative from the responsible party. An experienced lawyer will investigate the circumstances of your accident, gather evidence, and build a strong case on your behalf.
In addition to helping you recover compensation for your losses, taking legal action can also help prevent similar accidents from occurring in the future. When individuals, organizations, and other entities are held accountable for their negligent actions, they may be more likely to take steps to improve safety and prevent future accidents.
Statute of Limitations for Catastrophic Injury Cases
While many believe there is plenty of time to file an injury claim, there is a time limit they must follow to recover the best possible compensation. Under California Law, individuals suffering from catastrophic injuries must file an injury claim within two years of the accident. However, depending on the circumstances of your case, you may have longer to file your claim.
If a person fails to file a claim within the stated time, they may lose the right to seek compensation and justice for their injuries. As soon as you are able, speak with an experienced San Diego catastrophic injury lawyer in San Diego, California.
If you’ve been injured due to the negligence of a government employee, your deadline to file a claim is typically 6 months. For example, if you were in an accident with a city or government vehicle, or otherwise hurt on government property.
Find a Highly-Qualified San Diego Catastrophic Injury Lawyer at Jassim Law Today
At Jassim Law, we believe in recovering a full and fair settlement for our clients and provide award-winning services. With a proven track record of success and references from past clients, we can provide future clients with the information they need to ensure we are the best fit for their circumstances. Attorney Pajman Jassim has over 20 years of experience and will utilize his knowledge and connections to provide you with the best possible legal representation for your claim. He empathizes with the hardships of catastrophic injury victims and aims to make communities safer.
Arrange a free consultation with a San Diego catastrophic injury attorney by calling (619) 554-0624 or completing our contact form today.