Wrong-way accidents are a serious and often tragic type of traffic collision that occurs when a vehicle travels in the opposite direction of traffic flow on the roadway. Even though wrong-way collisions are statistically rare, approximately 296 accidents occurred between 2016 and 2022 in California. To avoid these types of accidents, drivers must understand what time these accidents are more likely to occur, where wrong-way travelers typically travel on the roadway, and other helpful information.
Unfortunately, most of these types of collisions are caused by impaired drivers. The lawyers at Jassim Law understand the importance of raising awareness about wrong-way drivers in San Diego to keep our communities safe.
Wrong-way collisions are deadly, with over half of them occurring on the weekends between 11 p.m. and 4 a.m. Alcohol is almost always a contributing factor, as drunk drivers mistake the fast lane for the right side of the road (slow lane). When representing wrong-way accident victims, we believe it is bigger than an individual client. It is about protecting future motorists from catastrophic injuries and fatalities.
9 Ways to Avoid Wrong-Way Accidents in San Diego
Staying safe on the roadway is a shared responsibility. However, if you find yourself having to react to a wrong-way driver, you will increase your chances of avoiding a collision by following these tips:
- Drive in the right or middle lanes: It is best to stay in the right or middle lanes when you are not actively passing someone. Wrong-way drivers typically travel in the left lane, as they think they are on the correct side of the road and traveling in the “slow” lane – when in fact they are traveling in your “fast” lane.
- Keep a high visual horizon: It is always a best practice to stay alert on the road. Keep a close eye on the traffic far ahead of you to buy you more time to react in the event of a wrong-way driver. Try to anticipate the possibility of a wrong-way driver, and give yourself time to react.
- Reduce your speed: Defensive driving is helpful when reacting to unexpected situations. Keep a safe distance from the car ahead of you, and be ready to react quickly if you see a vehicle approaching you in the wrong direction, or the car in front of you suddenly swerve out of the way.
- Ride off the road if necessary: If you feel safest on the shoulder of the road or in any clear area, move your vehicle out of the way to avoid a collision. A wrong-way situation can heighten quickly, and it may be best to remove your vehicle.
- Flash your lights and honk your horn: In some cases, you may be able to alert the wrong-way driver by flashing your lights and honking your horn so they may get off the road.
- Stay calm: In an emergency situation, such as a wrong-way vehicle approaching you, it is best to stay calm so you can react clearly and quickly. Making a decision out of panic can result in a collision with vehicles around you.
- Contact 911: If you see a wrong-way driver or someone that seems impaired, contact 911 immediately.
- DO NOT Drink and Drive: This goes without saying, but don’t drive if you are impaired. You do not want to be the person causing the collision, and if faced with an emergency you do not want to be impaired by slow reaction time, and inability to react!
- Stay Off the Roads Late at Night: Finally, while this seems unfair – to minimize the chance of encountering intoxicated motorists, you can choose to stay off the roads during the times most of these collisions occur.
If you see a wrong-way driver on the road, call 911 immediately to report it. Provide the dispatcher with as much information as possible about the location and description of the vehicle if it is safe to do so. CALTRANS is taking proactive measures against wrong-way drivers by installing vehicle detection systems at select freeway off-ramps in San Diego, which automatically sends a message when a vehicle is detected going in the wrong direction.
How the Lawyers at Jassim Law Can Help Your Wrong-Way Accident Claim
The wrong-way accident lawyers at Jassim Law provide valuable legal guidance and support to accident victims. We have over 20 years of experience constructing powerful cases that emphasize the impact of the collision on your life and the wake of harm caused. We can help the success of your claim in the following ways:
- Meticulously investigating every detail of your case
- Gathering and preserving evidence
- Working with field experts to testify on the facts of your case
- Securing compelling evidence, such as surveillance, dashcam and traffic footage, images, and eyewitness statements
- Determining one or more liable parties
- Connecting you with the best medical care
- Representing your legal rights and interests inside and outside of court
- Negotiating with all relevant parties on your behalf
When choosing our legal team, you can rest assured we are using our extensive resources, skills, and knowledge to fight for the justice and compensation you deserve for a wrong-way driver’s negligence.
Speak With the Wrong-Way Accident Lawyers at Jassim Law
Although rare, wrong-way accidents can have catastrophic consequences. By working with the dedicated lawyers at Jassim Law, you can focus on recovery while we are fighting diligently to protect your rights and secure the best possible outcome for your wrong-way accident claim. Principal attorney Pajman Jassim was named one of San Diego Metro Magazine’s Best Attorneys and has a 10.0 rating on Avvo.com. Schedule your free consultation by calling (619) 554-0624 or completing a contact form. understand you are injured, so we come to you. We also offer video, Zoom, or telephone consultations.